Gas to drive the kids to Grandma & Grandpa's house - $75
1 new black dress - $60
2 plane tickets to Utah - $650
5 days ALONE with my husband - priceless!
Jamie and I went to Salt Lake a few weeks ago for his annual Les Schwab Manager's meeting. Although it is called a "meeting" we only have to attend two short meetings all week. Really we play...play...and play some more! Here are the highlights:
Sunday:
We flew out EARLY and I mean EARLY! When we arrived at the Grand American Hotel we 1.gushed...what a gorgeous hotel! 2. took a nap! Later in the evening we attended the Les Schwab Welcome Dinner.
Monday:
We attended a short meeting after breakfast (Dan Fouts gave a less than motivating talk on being positive) and then we toured temple square. Since it was our 8th anniversary we wanted to celebrate. We ate dinner at "The Roof" which overlooks The Salt Lake Temple. Beautiful and the food was delicious!
Tuesday:
After another short meeting we went back to temple square to see the Joseph Smith movie. WOW. I was overcome with emotion...blubbering like a little girl. It was so amazing and real and added to my testimony of this wonderful prophet. We then took in a live session at The Salt Lake Temple. A live session is very interesting...something everyone should do at least once. We then wandered over to Benihanas and had a very yummy dinner and socialized with some other Les Schwabies.
Wednesday:
We slept in (Jamie's favorite day) and then took a trip to Cabela's (The Lehi Temple as the locals call it :) WOW...this store was amazing! If you love the outdoors...this store has everything your little heart desires and then some. We ate at The IceCap where they make THE BIGGEST milkshakes you have ever laid eyes on...not only was the cup gigantic but the shake overflows like 4 inches above the rim! I highly recommend their chocolate peanut butter...YUM!
Later that night we attended the Les Schwab Dinner and Dance. This was a semi-formal event which was held in the Grand American Ballroom...the place was stunning! After dinner we eagerly awaited the entertainment. Every year Les Schwab hires some famous (not quite the most popular at the moment but, non the less, famous) person to perform. This year was Neal McCoy, a country singer who was popular about 10 years ago. He was FABULOUS and put on quite the show...extremely entertaining. I was even able to get Jamie out on the dance floor :0
Thursday:
Our flight didn't leave until late so we had the whole day to explore. We drove down to Provo and I was able to show Jamie where I lived when I attended BYU. We then went up the canyon to Sundance. I had forgotten just how beautiful this place is! Breathtaking! It was a gorgeous day and we took the chairlift up the mountain. What a peaceful, quiet ride. I could use a lift like that every day...just to think! If I had to choose...this would be my favorite part of the whole week. We hopped in the car and drove to Park City where we were able to watch future Olympians practice at Olympic Park, took the worlds steepest zip line down the mountain and finished off with a nice Alpine slide.
It was a much needed week of rest, play and one-on-one time with my hubby! Priceless!
7 comments:
Wow, I have never in my life wanted to go to Utah so bad. That sounds amazing! You had me at gigantic milkshake. And Neil McCoy! that's pretty awesome.
It was funny to read your list of activities and realize that even though I've been back to Utah many times, I have never done ANY of those things! Well, except visit temple square.
Really, it sounds like such a fun time. I'm just a little disappointed that you don't have pictures to share!
what a fun time! I especially love the "temple of Lehi" (cabela's) my husband would love that place. He already peruses the catalog. And the nap in the hotel? Are you kidding? That sounds so nice.
Wow, what a great trip! I would love to go to Utah to "tour" someday. I'm glad you had such a nice time and got to enjoy some alone time with your hubby!
It sounds like it was a great trip! I'm so glad you got to go. I think every couple should get a few nights away every once in awhile. I know I'm ready for another "work" trip with Kelly!
What a great vacation. I think you meant Iceberg if you went to my favorite shake shop? And isn't that Joseph Smith movie incredible. I can't wait till they release it.
You have totally made me miss Utah!!! I went to school at the Y and this post makes me so nostalgic!
Post a Comment