Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Laboring over the weekend...

It seems befitting that we spent Labor Day...'laboring'! At the beginning of the summer Jamie decided our front yard needed a total overhaul. He killed off the grass, brought in a load of dirt, leveled it off and re-seeded. After months of waiting...the grass is finally nice and lush so on Labor Day, we put in a few of the finishing touches...nice sharp edges, flowerbeds free of noxious weeds and a few trimmed bushes. Midway through the day, when the sun was beating down on us and sweat was beading on our foreheads we heard the most wonderful music floating through the air (well, it was more like cheesy Barney music but we knew what the sound would bring...so it was wonderful.)

AN ICECREAM TRUCK!



I grew up in the sticks so the sound of the icecream truck was only something I had heard on TV...really. When I saw the icecream truck I was the happiest kid on the cul-de-sac. Jamie told Ben to rush in and grab his wallet...I have never seen that boy move so quickly!




Look at those pink cheeks. That icecream arrived just in time.



'GOT ICECREAM'!


What a great way to end the summer!

8 comments:

Paige said...

Allow me to be the first to leave my "delightful declarations!" Ben is so cute! I have seen the icecream truck around town, but never where I can stop him! And where are the pictures of the new yard???

Merilee said...

Love the ice cream man! Love the kids in a frenzy to find all there money! Love the ice cream the most!!

Darilyn said...

I love the icecream truck too. I also grew up in the "sticks" so moving to Portland brought all sorts of fun new things including a neighborhood icecream truck. Great post.

Aundrea said...

We love that truck too! I keep all the money I find in the washer and dryer in a drawer in the laundry room. I say whatever money I find is mine, it's my payment for doing everyone's laundry. Well, that drawer is running low, now that the Ice Cream Man has started coming around! Dang kids:)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, the sound of the ice cream truck is just so exciting! It's one of those things that totally represents summer to me. My boys were thrilled to have that experience for the first time this summer, too. What cute pics of Ben with his sweet red cheeks and icecreamy face :)

sheila said...

The ice cream man brings back the best memories.....sneaking into my Mom's purse while she was napping, buying a fudgesicle and subsequently getting it frozen to my tongue. I swear I could never get away with anything!

Nicole said...

I love the ice cream truck too! I'm glad that you got after those "Noxious" weeds :-)

Shannon b said...

that ice cream truck is the cutest thing ever. I've seen it drive through our neighborhood several times, but it's never made it down our street.
I also have fun memories of the ice cream truck - begging my mom for loose change and all that.

and pictures of your yard??