Sunday, December 2, 2007

Oh Barf...

I'm feeling a little looney today. I don't function too fabulously on little sleep and last night was a doozy. Ben wandered into our room frantic, I guess it was around 4 in the morning. He wasn't crying but he kept repeating, "Mommy, I had an accident. Mommy, I had an accident." I reached down to check his jammies to see if they were wet and they were bone dry. So, I asked him what kind of accident he had and he replyed, "There's brown stuff all over my room." Ok. What in the world could that be?
In my foggy haze, half awake / half asleep, I walked into Ben's room praying he was just having a bad nightmare. Nope...I am not that lucky. His room looked like a freakin' crime scene. There was reddish brown puke all over his bed, pillow, stuffed animals and, of course, our light carpet.

If there is one thing I don't do well, it is cleaning up vomit. Seriously, I just can't do it. That's why the Lord paired me up with Jamie...so he could clean up the puke! I was able to get Ben changed, brush his teeth and snuggle him up into our bed before I changed the sheets. Jamie used the wet vac (which is *like* soooooooo loud, especially in the middle of the night) to clean up the carpet. Man, I love him. I tell ya, one of my love languages is 'acts of service' and he was looking mightly fine cleaning up red and brown chunks from the carpet. (Just kidding) Oh yeah...I forgot to mention we took the kids to the local Mexican restaurant in town last night. Yeah. You guessed it. Salsa and beans. Delicious.

Ben didn't even know what had happened with this being only the second time he has ever thown up and the last time he doesn't even remember...he was about 18 months old. He kept saying he was so sorry because he thought Jamie and I were going to be mad at him for making such a big mess. Too sweet. We reassured him this was something he couldn't help...when you're sick, you're sick.

Well, I am praying this doesn't spread throughout the house but in between prayers I am going to try to get some sleep. Oh...in case you are wondering, our cutie is doing fine. It is shocking how quickly a 4-year-old can recover. Shocking. Almost as shocking as how much vomit can come spewing out of one. small. child. Shocking, I tell ya.

16 comments:

Merilee said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Why do these things always happen in the middle of the night? Why can't they just be obedient little children and puke in the bowl at hmmm.. never o'clock?

Michelle said...

I am so sorry Jodi, kid barf is just about my least favorite thing in the world. Poor little Ben, I know our kids always get a little freaked out when that happens. I hope you got some sleep today, and that there are no more middle of the night interruptions.

Rochelle said...

When you said brown stuff I was thinking of other things! What a bummer though. I hope all gets better at your house.

I have been in bed all day sick too so I do understand the feeling...

Toshia said...

that sucks! I can remember many occasions at the weitzel house growing up where puke was throughout! I don't miss that part of home, and I don't look forward to the day when it is my children making a trail from the couch to the bathroom...

Paige said...

Icky. I hope he continues to stay puke free!!

Nicole said...

Oh yuck! Now I am ever so grateful the kids didn't come over friday night! :-) Cleaning up barf is not a fun experience.

Tiffini said...

What a shock for that poor little boy:( I am glad he is feeling better already. And I certainly hope that nobody else gets sick!

Anonymous said...

As unfortunate as that was to hear about, I have to admit that I totally giggled through reading it because I could just *hear* you telling the story in my head. You crack me up :)

Anyway, I am so glad that little Ben is feeling better, and I certainly hope that no one else gets sick, especially YOU because the idea of getting through the Ward Christmas party without you gives me hives. SO DON'T GET SICK!!! Seriously :)

Kelli said...

Oh, I just hate those nights! Hopefully it will just be an isolated time.

Darilyn said...

I went through that a month ago with Heidi. In the middle of the night also. I hope he is feeling better.

Marie said...

I'm sorry, Jodi, but I had to giggle at that story because it sounds like me - I don't clean up puke either. That's Jeff's job - I do the blood! And 'acts of service' is my main love language too (the Chapman books).
I hope Ben is feeling better!

Aundrea said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but I was totally laughing out loud as I was reading this! I could hear your voice in my head and it was just too much! I am very sorry about it though and I'm glad Ben's feeling better:)

Candy said...

I am with you girl, I don't do puke or blood or anything icky- I call Dave or Toshia or anyone!!! I can relate though try having six or seven little ones throwing up all over the place...

Anonymous said...

oh, that is not a party. And beans?! yuck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweet sis,
I am so sorry that Ben was sick. I am glad that he is feeling better. I hope the rest of you don't get what he had.
Luv u-
Nikki

Kelly said...

Poor little guy! Nothing burns more than salsa coming back up.