Monday, September 8, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten...


He started school this morning,

And he seemed so very small.

As I walked there beside him

In the Kindergarten hall.


And as he took his place

beside the others in the class,

I realized how all too soon

Those first few years can pass.

Remembering, I saw him

as he first learned how to walk.

The words that we alone made out

When he began to talk.

This little boy so much absorbed

In learning how to write.

It seems as though he must have grown

To boyhood overnight.

My eyes were blurred but hastily

I brushed the tears away

Lest by some word or sign of mine

I mar his first big day

Oh how I longed to stay with him


And keep him by the hand

To lead him through the places

That he couldn't understand.

And something closely kin to fear

Was mingled with my pride.

I knew he would no longer be

A baby by my side.

But he must have his chance to live,


To work his problems out,

The privilege to grow and learn

What life is all about.

And I must share my little boy


With friends and work and play;

He's not a baby anymore --

He's in Kindergarten today.

18 comments:

Gina said...

What a cute poem. It made me get a little teary eyed thinking about my kids. I sent my "little boy" off to middle school last week. It is hard to believe how fast the time has gone by.

Paige said...

Aw, yay Ben! He really is a big boy, huh? But he'll always be YOUR big boy. I'm sure he'll have a fantastic day. You have prepared him well. :)

Aundrea said...

I've been thinking about you this morning...Hoping it wasn't too hard for you to have your baby in kindergarten. I hope he had a great day! He looks so excited in his picture:)

Jill said...

What a cute poem. It brought a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. It's so hard to let them do some of these things on their own, isn't it? I'm glad that you shared him with me last year! I hope he has a great first day. I know he will.

Michelle said...

What a sweet poem, and Ben is one good looking kindergartener. I bet the girls will be chasing him at recess!

Tiffini said...

Great expressions of your thoughts! It goes by so fast!! He looks so big and excited.

Julee and Matt said...

He is so cute! I hope he loves school and enjoy your time with just you and Meg for a few months. :)

rachel said...

What a BIG day! I hope you survived. :)

Toshia said...

Wow, I have to ask, did you write the poem or find it somewhere? If you wrote it I want permission to steal a copy of it for when my little guy makes the leap from the womb to kindergarten!

Darilyn said...

You seriously just decided to sit down and write this today? You are so talented!

Rochelle said...

I know you wrote this because you descibed these very feelings to me this morning. It is beautiful! I was worried more about you than Ben, Im glad to see you both did great!

Shannon b said...

oh my goodness Jodi! I didn't cry on the first day of school, but that definitely got me misty!

Dani said...

Ben is a very handsome boy :) Love the poem!

Tonya said...

I am so impressed by that sweet poem! I cried too on Eli's first day of Kindergarten. Next year my oldest goes to middle school. I think I might pass out!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That is a wonderful poem. Precisely how I feel too.

Natalee said...

What a sweet poem! I love little boys! You're just starting and next year, will be my last! Whoa! Funny how that worked out that way huh?

Marie said...

What a great poem, Jodi! And such a cute boy. They grow up fast, don't they?

Anonymous said...

What a sweet poem. It made me sad to think that he was just a baby yesterday. Where did the time go?
What a cutie!