Monday, September 14, 2009

First...

Excitement was in the air the morning of Ben's first day of 1st grade. He literally COULD NOT WAIT to go. When I entered his room that morning he sat straight up in bed and said..."Wow, that sleep went fast!" It's a good thing, because he was anxious to get to school and see his friends, sit in the desk next to Sailor, get to know his new teacher, eat lunch out of his new Scooby Doo lunchbox, slurp his yogurt Crush Cup and enjoy 3, yes 3, recesses!

Megan was excited, too. She had a sense that some big change was going to occur but I don't think she fully understood that Ben would be gone a significant portion of the day. That first day was a little rough for her. "Where Ben?" she kept asking, although I think she enjoyed having full control of the toys in the house :)

Doesn't he look like such a big kid standing in front of his school? UGH. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle my boy being away for such a large chunk during the day. I mean, someone else will be with him more hours a day than I am with him and this was a little hard for me to wrap my brain around and it made my heart hurt a little. BUT, when I went to pick him up after that first day and he had a big smile on his face and was just BEYOND. THRILLED...I was happy, too. And my heart didn't hurt anymore.

I think we are both growing up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh my goodness ... that picture of Ben and Meg together, the close up one, is just melt-your-heart perfection!!!! It needs a frame for sure :)
Wishing Ben the best 1st grade experience ever!!! It appears that so far he is doing just fine. And glad to hear your heart is no longer hurting :) It's been rough on me, too ... just wait until it's Ellie ... then it really hits hard!

Anonymous said...

wow ... I just saw that pic of Ben and Meg together in the top right corner, and comparing it to the one you just posted ... look how much she has changed!?! Both of them! Our babies are growing up much tooo fast :(

Paige said...

Hooray for GREAT school days! I'm glad he's having such a positive experience. And that you are adjusting as well. :) Time goes quickly, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Your children are just beautiful! Ben is very handsome and Megan is especially pretty. What a great collections of pictures! (Ellie is precious as well!) Jodi, You do a great job with your blog. I really enjoy your posts!
Love,
Auntie Denise

Shannon b said...

I'm so glad he had a good 1st day! You're right, it's hard to wrap your brain around the thought of someone spending more time with your kids during the day than you. Isn't it great that we still get learning/growing opportunities as adults? :)