Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A few favorites...

One of my favorite traditions during the holidays is looking at Christmas lights. I love to sip hot chocolate and watch out my car window as the world sparkles with excitement. One of the best parts of this tradition is stopping at the end of the night after we have chosen a house and presenting them with a prize for being our favorite. It adds a touch of excitement to the night.

Afterwards we took the kids to the store to pick out gifts for eachother. Jamie took Ben (and Ellie) in a cart and I took Megan in mine. We scooted around the store like secret agents, hiding from eachother so the other person wouldn't see the gift they had chosen. When we got home Ben couldn't wait to wrap his gift for Megan. He insisted upon doing it himself.

But the best part came on Christmas Eve when the kids opened their gifts from eachother. They were so excited.

I love their faces in these pictures...


Ben picked out the perfect gift for Megan. She didn't let go of this microphone ALL night. One of those Christmas memories I will never forget.

8 comments:

Shannon b said...

I love your Christmas lights tradition! I bet the *winner* is just so tickled and surprised to be awarded like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jodi, I've been waiting and waiting for this post and was even going to ask you about it but didn't want you to feel bad about missing that tradition this year if it had just not happened this year. But I think it's the coolest thing ever and I always think of you and your family whenever I see a house with great lights.

I too love the pictures of your kids. you captured the essence of gift giving perfectly. That is why we give gifts, to feel the love from another and to help others feel special. Your kids did a beautiful job.

Dang, for some reason blogger won't let me leave a comment. So i'm doing it this way.

This is Darilyn.

Dannielle said...

That is such a great tradition...with the christmas lights...I think we might try that next year. Glad you had a good Christmas.

Dannielle said...

I sent something to your msn.com email...do you still use that one?

Tonya said...

I love how Ben spelled "Megin". That's awesome!!!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That is so cool that you drop a gift off to your favorite house!

Ben loves his Megan, you can see it. What sweet memories.

Nicole said...

I too love that you hand out a prize to your favorite house. I can just imagine the surprised look on their face :)

Tiffiny said...

So cute! I love the pj's. I am usually a nit-picker when it comes to Christmas light displays so Paul made me promise to knock it off this year! I had to find something nice to say about each house we looked at! I think hot chocolate would have helped, I'll remember that for next year!