Thursday, July 29, 2010

Freckles...

I have freckles everywhere. And I do mean everywhere :)
I have always liked them just fine.
They never bothered me or made me feel self-conscious.
In fact, I think they look healthy.
Cute.
Sun-kissed.

So, when Ben started getting a small smattering on his nose.
I was super happy!
I thought they were adorable.
We made quite a big deal out of them.
We talked them up.
We celebrated!


One day, Megan asked, "What are those spots on you, Ben?"
Again, we raved about the freckles.
As Megan listened, she started looking on her body.
She noticed she didn't have any freckles and she burst into tears.
It wasn't pretty.
We hugged her. We consoled her. We smoothed things over.


A few weeks passed with no mention of freckles.
Until one day...
We heard shouting coming from Megan's room.
LOUD shouting!
Happy shouting!!
"LOOK, LOOK! I HAVE A FRECKLE! I HAVE A FRECKLE! WOO HOO!"
Her finger was pointing to one, lone freckle on her arm.
And do you know what we did?
We made quite a big deal out of it.
We talked it up.
We celebrated!


You're next, Ellie!
Can't wait to celebrate with you :)

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love love this picture of Ben!

Anonymous said...

Very sweet story! I for one am a fan of freckles, too :)

And you my dear, are taking some beautiful photographs!!

Marie said...

awwww! they are so cute and you are very creative - love your posts!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Too Cute! SO I have a little to add to your story. On Sunday Meagan found some freckles on my arm, LOTS in fact and we talked about how at our house we call them angel kisses. She is a doll!

Tonya said...

That is the cutest story! And I love to read your posts. You're awesome!