Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bobble head...

Two Sundays ago, I went to bed feeling perfectly normal. I set my alarm for 5 o'clock...determined to get back in my early morning routine at the gym. At about 1am, I lifted up my head to check the clock and the whole room was spinning. I panicked, woke up Jamie and told him something was really wrong with me. After some time, I was finally able to fall back asleep but upon opening my eyes the next morning...the nightmare was still with me. More spinning and I was totally nauseous. Jamie took me to the doctor and it was determined I had a loose rock in my inner ear (no jokes about it being a rock in my head, people! I prefer to think of it as a crystal, anyway :) We all have these little rocks in our ear but sometimes they get in the wrong place which throws off our equillibrium. They gave me some exercises to do to try to get that rock back into its proper place. Needless to say, the next week was pretty miserable. After the first couple of days, I could get the 'crystal' stabilized and was able to stand without a lot of spinning. Instead, I just felt like a bobble head...everything sort-of bobbed or swooshed around me. It was seriously weird.

10 days later and I am happy to report I am spin-free! Nothing like a little adversity to help you appreciate all the good things in your life. I am very thankful for my health. What a blessing that I take for granted.
I'm so very thankful for my husband who took time off from work to take care of me and my awesome mom who swooped in and relieved Jamie, stayed with us for days, cooked, cleaned and played with the kids. And I'm very thankful for such wonderful friends who brought meals, called every day to check on me, helped out with my kiddos, sent cards and made me realize what a huge support system I am blessed with. Love you all.

6 comments:

Darilyn said...

What, how did you get a rock in your ear? That is very strange indeed. I'm so glad you were taken care of and that you are now feeling better.

Dannielle said...

Glad you are better...didn't even know that could happen :)

Rochelle said...

I am laughing so hard at Darilyn's comment! HAHAHAHA!
I love you and am so glad you are feeling better!

Rochelle said...

Jodi, I think people really think you got a rock in your ear!

"Didn't even know that could happen" ???

Oh I am having a kick out of this!

Rochelle said...

Sorry, Just one more comment and then I'll stop. You never mention the name of this disorder, Vertigo, not just spinning with rocks in your ears! Ohhh! HEHEHEHE! HAHAHAHA! I love it!

Jill said...

So glad you are feeling better. That sound HORRIBLE. My grandma took a fall and dislodged her rock. Sounds miserable, yet unreal at the same time. :) Glad you weren't out of commission for TOO long!