Monday, September 20, 2010

Today...

September 13th, 2010
Today you started 2nd grade.


Today your brand new alarm clock went off at 7:00am.

Today we ate whole wheat cinnamon toast, nectarine slices and milk for breakfast.

Today you wore a brand new pair of converse tennis shoes, a Navy Blue shirt, shorts and you were sporting your new coat...looks sharp (as Grandpa would say). Not too different than any other day except these have that new smell and new feel. You look handsome in your school uniform.

Today we (the girls and I) walked you in to your classroom and helped you get settled. When we left, you seemed a little on the nervous side. Maybe it was just excitement. I can't be sure. But I thought about you for hours after...hoping that your first day was a great success
in your eyes.


Today we lined up with the rest of the moms/dads at afterschool pickup. Megan picked you a few dandelions flowers (I do believe you were missed) and we greeted you with smiles and hugs. You liked your new teacher, your classroom, your desk, your lunch, and seeing your friends but you were sad because your very best friend, Robbie, didn't return to your school. When we arrived home, you hung up your coat, emptied out your backpack, put your lunchbox by the sink and we had a snack. Fig Newtons and a pep talk.

Today you played with your sisters and then we ate dinner (Taco Pasta) before heading off to soccer practice. It was a nice day...no rain. Megan rode her bike along the cement path that lines the field, Ellie chased a soccer ball around and I tried to watch you play and keep my eye on the girls (challenging)! Coach Laura ended soccer practice a tad bit early. She could tell many of you were tired from your
first day back to school.

Today was family movie night. You weren't too tired to attend "How to Tame Your Dragon" at the local theatre. By the time we arrived it was packed and the movie had already started. Thank goodness our friends had saved us a seat. We ate popcorn (yum) and lemonade as we laughed at this fun movie.

Today you brushed your teeth, we said family prayer, set your clothes out for tomorrow, turned on your alarm clock and tucked you in to bed. And you are all ready for day #2!

Happy Schooling :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy new school year to you sweet Ben! you are one handsome 2nd grader :) and I bet you are tearing it up on the soccer field, I remember watching you play and I *know* you got skills boy! I hope you have a great soccer season and a wonderful school year!!!

p.s. tell your mom I want her taco pasta recipe ;)

Shannon b said...

Here's to a great (and good-lookin') school year!

Tonya said...

What a cute, cute boy!

Wanna hear something sad?

I thought so.

My BABY started school this year. It made me cry. I cannot believe all four of my kids are in school!

Your family is seriously so darling.

Anonymous said...

Our darling little boy is growing up! This brought tears to my eyes as I watched, through your words, Ben go through his first day of school. Thank you for keeping us updated as we traverse the U.S. Sure do love the Heitz family.
Love ya, Mom