Monday, August 19, 2013

40 things I have learned in 40 years...


 
Well, the dreaded 40 has finally dropped in my lap and although I had a rough couple of days leading up to the big day (I was trying to determine if this huge number was going to settle well with me)...I can honestly say I have reached the other side and have decided to embrace it! I took a quiet moment or two to write down some of my thoughts, a few things I have learned along this journey because if nothing else...with age comes wisdom, right ;) Some of the things on my list I learned years ago and others, quite frankly, took me until my 40th birthday to truly believe (you will understand when you get to number 39 and 40 on this rather long list!) So, here's to being 40!  

 
1. A spoon and a jar of Nutella is a lethal combination of pure deliciousness. 

2. Speak the truth and stay genuine. People relate to "REAL"!

3. Make time to call, text, and email the people you love. It's important to stay connected.
 
4. If the choice is cleaning your home or playing Barbies with your daughters or shooting hoops with your son...let the dust accumulate.
 
5. When you give without expecting anything in return, often you receive more than you bargained for.
 
6. Tell the people you love that you love them, or at least how much you value them. 
 
7. A sense of humor is way sexier than six pack abs.

8. Forgive others. You never know what another person is going through, so love unconditionally and forgive freely. 

9. Changing your mindset is the quickest way to change your circumstances.
 
10. Motivation comes in short bursts.  Act while it’s hot.
 
11. Marrying your best friend only gets better and better as the years roll on!!

12. You can’t control anyone other than yourself. If someone is behaving in a way you don't like, you can only control the way you react to it.
 
13. True friendship is hard to come by – if you have it, keep it and them close to your heart.
 
14. When you hear the toilet flush and the words "uh oh," it's already too late :(
 
15. Practicing gratitude is the quickest way to increase joy and happiness in your life.  The struggle ends when the gratitude begins!
 
16. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
 
17.  Hard work beats talent any day.

18. Dietary rule #1: Chocolate always loves you back :)

19. If someone offers you a piece of gum...take it :) 

20. Being vulnerable, opening yourself up and being your true authentic self will bring you great joy and helps you form connections to others. 

21. Never hustle for approval. Don't try to be something that you are not just to fit in. Be true to yourself. Be confident in who you are. 

22. The trait that will bring you closer to God than any other is...humility. 

23. Whenever you are happy...pray. Whenever you are sad...pray. Whenever you are confused, frustrated, impatient, lonely...pray!  Heavenly Father is ALWAYS there to hear your prayers. You are never alone. 

24. You don't need to say everything that comes to your mind. Silence truly is golden.
 
25. It's impossible to eat a hot dog at the ballpark without getting mustard on your shirt.

26. True confidence comes from your relationship with Heavenly Father. Knowing who you are, why you are here and where you are headed brings a quiet confidence that you can't receive from anywhere else. 

27. Family is where it's at. Forever, for always, no matter what!

28. Traveling is a gift to your soul.

29. Communication is key to any successful relationship.

30. There is no "one" type of beautiful. Tall, short, slender, curvy...God made us all beautiful in our own unique way.

31. If you focus on the negative things in life, they multiply. On the same note, if you choose to pick out the positive in people, places and situations...you will be blessed with a perspective on life that will flood you with peace and joy! 

32. Open your heart to the unique and interesting people that are in the world. 

33. Admit when you are wrong and apologize. This is a gift not only to the recipient but also to your soul.

34. The best place to think is at the beach. There is something magical about the crashing of the waves, the sand underneath your feet and the endless ocean view that soothes your soul and helps clear your head. 

35. Exercise is not only good for your heart, it's good for your head. I may not look different heading out of the gym but I feel different...strong, confident, ready to conquer the world. 

36. Live life to the fullest. Don't waste even a small part of your life sitting on the sidelines because you are worried about what others will think. Life is far too short!
 
37. Having children is the most rewarding, challenging, stressful, joyful thing in the world. When you take your responsibility as a parent seriously, it stretches you and molds you into the person Heavenly Father intended you to be. 

38. While you are in it, live it! Don't focus on the past or think about what's to come...practice living presently, in the moment. This simple shift is life changing!

39. The wrinkles on my face are the living proof of the joy I have had in my life. I have smiled and laughed a ton over the last 40 years...what a gift! I am learning to appreciate the new lines I see on my face as signs of happiness. 

40. Age is just a number. 

5 comments:

Paige said...

What a great list!! Happy Birthday!!

Anonymous said...

Jodi, your list is an inspiration to me...50 is not so far around the corner for me and I am having a challenge getting ready for it. Happy Birthday and thank you for sharing!

Jody said...

Beautiful!! What a wonderful and inspiring list! I can tell from reading it how much you enjoy life and how happy you are. You are a ray of sunshine my dear friend! Love you!! Happy 40th!!

Heidi said...

first of all, no way you are 40. for realsies, i was thinking 35. no kidding. 100% honest there!!! and we are the same person. your "list" is my "list" love it. love you and i hope you had a blessed day. thanks for making 40 look so awesome....

Tonya said...

You are so amazing! I seriously love you and I wish you were my next door neighbor, because how fun would that be?!? Happy 40 years old, my friend.