Sunday, October 28, 2007

I survived...

9 days without my husband. Every October I become a widow...a hunting widow. Jamie packs up his gear and heads out into the great wide open to do manly things like look for wild animals, sleep in the wilderness, eat off of stumps, scratch when and where he wants to with absolutely noone watching. He loves it. Personally, I don't get it.

8 nights alone in my house...as the protector of me and my children. This is a scary thought to me although I think I could pull through in the clutch...if need be.

7 garbage cans to empty. This was my chore all during my growing up years and when Jamie and I first got married I told him the one chore I flat out refused to do was empty the garbage. I can do all kinds of 'manly' jobs...mow the lawn, wash the cars...but empty the garbage was not going to be on my 'to-do' list. Well, Jamie has come through with flying colors. I do believe this was the first time in 8 years that I have officially emptyed all the cans in our house into the big can outside and pulled them out to the curb. Thank you for your applause.

6 hours of church meetings....enough said.

5 hours worth of beeps from the fire alarm in our bedroom before I realized that it needed a new battery. It was, of course, really late at night before it started it's 'every 20 second' beeping routine. Thankfully, we had a replacement battery but that bugar was hard to get in!

4 gas burners that didn't work on my stove. Turns out the pump underneath the house that hasn't gone off ONCE in the 3 1/2 years we have lived here decided to make it's debut on the first day of Jamie's trip! Lovely. It is hooked up to the stove and when they were both going at the same time it overloaded.

3 sickees. Ben brought home a bug from preschool. He is really making leaps and bounds with the whole 'sharing thing' and decided this was one thing he couldn't help but give to Meg and me. How sweet :( This was a nasty cold. Runny nose, sore throat, cough, head ache...do you feel sorry for me yet?!

2 trips to the mailbox. This is one of Jamie's jobs. He always checks the mail at the end of the day and...well...I only remembered twice.

1 long week that helps me appreciate all my husband does for us.

14 comments:

Paige said...

Hooray for you!! You are woman, hear you roar. Or take out the trash. Whatever is most intimidating. You forgot to mention the thermostat going out and the lack of hot chocolate in the house. You deserve a medal!

Rochelle said...

I was so proud of you at church today! It can get tough and you did a great job! Jamie I think pampering is in order, foot rubs and a babysitter (you) when I come still Jodi this week for a GNO!

Shannon b said...

hooray to have your husband back! I know I often say I'm used to Scott going out of town -- but it really stinks to be a single mom. And my goodness . . . . to make it through TWO sundays on your own -- that deserves some applause.

Michelle said...

My goodness! What a week! Kudos to you for surviving some of those really "fun" moments.

Cavanaugh Family said...

Hi Jodi~

Okay the 33 things about Jamie made me laugh and then made me cry. A beatutiful marriage you both have! We love you both and are so happy for you guys.

Okay on to Meg (what a doll). She is so adorable with her "piggies". Ben is the spitting image of his daddie. Just like Liam and Jason. Okay we have got to get a picture of the four of them together.

Getting together we would love that! Lets try for after the holidays sometime in January.

Home alone...I know the feeling! This is why we have a dog (or two). You are a trooper.

Have a great week...love, Jess

Aundrea said...

You are quite the woman! I was laughing so hard about the smoke alarm. That has happened to me twice. The second time I just got the ladder out and replaced all of the batteries. I love how the pick the middle of the night to decide to start beeping! I'm glad you survived and that your man is home:)

Merilee said...

I can't believe how rude your house was to you while Jamie was away. All that stuff, geez!

Toshia said...

I can totally sympathize. I hate doing the manly chores around the house! I keep telling Andrew his "honey-do" list is a mile long so he better hurry home and get crackin!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweet Sister!
I loved hearing how you survived your week without Jamie. Really makes you appreciate your husband when he's gone. Huh? I am glad that Jamie is home and back into your routines! Funny how the garbage thing has carried over to your adult years. I feel the same way about dusting! :)
I am glad that you are feeling better. Wish you lived closer so I could have brought you some chicken noodle soup!
Hope to see you soon.
Hugs and kisses to everyone.
Love ya,
Nikki :)

Marie said...

Hooray for you for getting through another hunting season! The fire alarm thing happened to me also when Jeff was gone. (yes - middle of the night)
What a clever post-I enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

You did indeed survive, and now you SO deserve a bit of you time - pedicure, craft warehouse shopping spree, something along that line?

Way to be for pulling through, and even emptying the garbage and all! Too funny, that made me laugh :) And even though you admited it was tough, you certainly handle it well my friend because you seemed on top of your game to me.

Hope you are feeling better. I'm still waiting for my cough to clear. This nasty bug seems to linger a while -- annoying :(

Nicole said...

When Spencer returns from hunting I shower him with attention and he thinks that when he leaves is the only time I appreciate him. Not true, but I do miss the all the little things he does for me.

Darilyn said...

Wow, that was survival for sure. I don't understand 6 hours of Sacrament Meeting though. Why 6 hours? Do you really like putting yourself through that with your kids so you visited every ward in the stake? You definitely need a Girls Night Out. Where is Rochelle taking you and can I come?

Kelly said...

You crack me up! I'm right there with you. The only time I have EVER done the trash or gotten the mail was when my husband was out of town. I have an aversion to trash cans. There are bugs. Big ones.