Monday, November 26, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend...

Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. Instead of giving you a play by play I thought I'd do a Thanksgiving themed question and answer-type thing...just for fun.

What are your favorite food items for Thanksgiving? I'm all about the stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and creamed cauliflower (My mom makes the best cream sauce!)

Who prepares all the food? Well, my mom makes the majority of the meal (turkey, stuffing, potatoes and two traditional salads). My sister makes delicious yams (at least that is what the rest of the family says. I, personally, don't care for yams.) My Aunt Jan brings the rolls and I bring the pies. Since the women do all the cooking, the guys do ALL the dishes which is my favorite part of the meal.

Do you go to the same place every year or does it vary? We go to my Mom and Dad's house every year. The only variation was the first year Jamie and I were married. Everyone came to our new house, including my in-laws. We used one of those aluminum type pans to cook the turkey and when we put it into the oven we scratched the bottom of the pan. For hours we had no idea that the turkey juice was slowly leaking out and cooking at the bottom of my oven! Not only did it mean 'no gravy' (OOOhhhh sooooo sad!!) but when I put the rolls in at a high temperature...I set my oven on fire. Yeah...I made a great first impression with my in-laws.

Do you mind traveling for Thanksgiving? The traffic was really light this year. We made it in our usual 2 1/2 hours which really doesn't qualify as 'traveling'.

What are your after dinner festivities? Our family loves to play games and cribbage is one of our favorites. This year my sister and I took on Jamie and my brother-n-law, Jim. Although we lost every game (by a very small margin, I might add) we had such a fun and goofy time. I laughed so hard I cried and snorted...which made Jim rather uncomfortable but that was part of my strategy.

After turkey and games Jamie loves to crash. This is another Thanksgiving tradition.

What's your favorite pie of the day? This year we had pumpkin and marrionberry pie with real whipped cream. Both were YUM-O!

What was your favorite memory from Thanksgiving 2007? Megan took her first steps on Thanksgiving. She is officially walking! And the best part...Jamie was there to see it. He has missed many of Ben and Megan's 'firsts' so he was pretty excited.

What was your least favorite memory from Thanksgiving 2007? Both Ben and Megan were sick and a little cranky. They stayed in their sweats and jammies all day which makes for great photos :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Saturday, we celebrated my Mom and sister's birthdays. My Mom turned 61 and although I had planned to make her a special scrapbook last year for her big 6-0 it turned out things got a little crazy right before her birthday...you know, with me giving birth to a baby and all (please...someone have sympathy for my tardiness on this gift?!) EH hmm...Anyway, I was able to get to it this year. Everyone in the family got a page in the book...complete with pictures and a personal letter to my mom.

Here's my page just to give you an idea of what it looked like...She was pretty touched by it and was actually in tears reading my Dad's letter. He calls her his 'little one'.
Isn't that cute? Here's my sister opening up her gifts. This is a nice picture of her...
This one...not so much. The whole weekend I was sneaking around with my camera trying to capture strange expressions on my sister's face and we were in stitches laughing at some of them. That last one had me gasping for air and snorting a little.

I have sooooo many more crazy pictures of my adorable sister but can't stand the idea of her hating me for the rest of our lives...so I will let them live inside my computer until I need a little blackmail.
Here are a few other pictures from the day...

Nikki and mom blowing out the candles...

Nikki, me, Shelby, Ben and Sammy playing Aggravation.

My cutie niece, Shelby and me.

My Girl...with a little red eye.

It was a wonderful weekend...I loved every minute of it!

13 comments:

Shannon b said...

what a sweet gift! I can tell that your mom just LOVED it.

Rochelle said...

AHH! I have been waiting for a week to find out how the party went. Cause you know it's all about me!
I am so glad you finished your book and that your mom just loved it. That picture is so sweet with her looking through it. Im happy for you!!!

Merilee said...

oh my gosh, that all looks like so much fun! Thanks for the big long post. It was so fun to read.

Cavanaugh Family said...

What a great gift. We did this for my g-grandmothers 90th and I just got the album back. She told me she wanted to keep it on our side of the family. I cried!

You are so great with the camera. I was to busy cooking and chasing after my kids that I hardly picked the thing up. I was bummed. So sweet!

Miss ya & hope all is good.

Love,
Jess

Darilyn said...

I love this blog Jodi and it sounds like you had a fabulous day. I'm a wee bit jealous. Is that allowed? My holiday was just mediocre. I love your gift to your mom.

Anonymous said...

What a fun time you had!!! I loved reading this post, you made me giggle a few times :)

And that book to your mom was fabulous Jodi, seriously, what a great idea. You have inspired me to do something special like that for my mom. What a special gift you gave to her.

And wow, Meg is walking!!! I knew it would be soon, but she still seems so little. Happy child-proofing :)

Aundrea said...

I can't believe Meg is walking!! I liked the little Q & A format, it was a cute idea. I'm glad you had fun, you always sound like you have the best time with your family! The book turned out great, and you totally get sympathy from me for being late:)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I love those gifts that are so special they make you cry. You are so good. Glad you had a good weekend and that your home safe.

Tiffini said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I can't believe Meg is big enough to be walking. And I am glad that Jamie was there for the big event. It is never fun when they miss those! Loved the turkey disaster story...no wonder you wanted that roasting pan!

Michelle said...

That looks like such a fun and relaxing Thanksgiving! I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.

Toshia said...

I love the layout! I am so happy you had a nice thanksgiving, hope you enjoy the snow tomorrow... :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweet Sis!
(or should I say not so sweet sis??? :) I just love you for putting that picture of me on your blog for EVERYONE to see!!! What are sisters for? Don't worry...I will get even. :)
Thanks for sharing all the great pictures. (other than me)
Hope Ben and Meg are feeling better soon.
Love ya,
Nikki

Candy said...

What a great way to journal the day. I learn so much from all you guys and I really loved the scrapbook! Keeping up with everyone to take pictures must have been fun! You capture such fun and sweet moments - I should hire you for some of our little get to toethers.