Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The prayers of a child...

Lately, I have been teaching Ben about the perils of smoking. You know...they make your lungs turn black, you can't breath very well, Word of Wisdom, yadda, yadda, yadda. It seems to have completely sunk in because now every time we pass someone on the street or outside of a grocery store he yells out and points, "Mommy, that man has a 'smoker'!" Most of the time the person smoking can hear him which makes me blush a little but inside I am really happy that he knows cigarettes are unhealthy and should be avoided.

Well, lately Ben has been putting a lot of thought into his prayers. It used to be the usual, "Thank you for Mommy. Thank you for Daddy. Thank you for Megan. Thank you for me. Thank you for the food. Amen." But lately he has wanted to talk to Heavenly Father about ALL kinds of other things and one of them is to bless all the people around him. For example, "Bless Auntie Jan's broken bone to feel better. Please bless me to learn something today at school. Bless me to be a good friend." All good things. But he threw me off with this one...

"Please bless Teacher Jill and her family that none of them will blow a smoker."

I realize you had to be in the room listening to Ben's prayer to think this is really funny but I seriously lost it! I am not sure if I have ever laughed hysterically during a prayer before this moment. I know this is not a good thing...giggling so hard you have tears rolling down your face while your sweet 4-year-old is pouring out his little heart to his Heavenly Father. I couldn't control it! I know...great example but I think I covered it up pretty well. He obviously heard me laughing so he stopped his prayer and looked up and asked me, "Mommy, what's wrong?" So, in order to avoid traumatizing my son I faked like I was crying/sobbing and said, "Oh, honey. What a sweet prayer! Mommy is crying happy tears because that was such a sweet prayer." And Ben smiled and said, "Mommy, you must feel the spirit!" He was very happy that his prayer had brought me so much joy and he had NO idea that I was giggling...so all turned out well.

Another funny prayer moment occurred when I was having a bad day...losing my patience every time I turned around. So, I finally sat down with Ben and we said a prayer. I asked that Heavenly Father would bless Ben to be a better listener and I asked to be forgiven for losing my patience and I asked to be blessed with more patience.

Well, since this prayer moment a few weeks ago...this statement has been popping up in ALL of Ben's prayers throughout the day NO MATTER WHAT KIND OF DAY I AM HAVING.

"Please bless mommy to find her patience because she lost it today."

I guess it never hurts to have a few extra prayers for patience!

18 comments:

Cavanaugh Family said...

I love it! The one on patience is so funny...I almost wet my pants with laughter, seriously!

Isn't it fun watching them learn and take it all in.

Okay send me your e-mail address so I can send you the grocery stuff.

Love ya,
Jess

Paige said...

Oh, what a sweet little boy. And how nice to be reminded each day to be patient. You are great parents, you can tell by the examples that Ben is following.

Aundrea said...

I LOVE hearing your "Ben" stories, they always make me laugh! That is so funny that he prays that you will find your patience! And you need to tell teacher Jill about the prayer for her and her family, she would think it was sweet!

Merilee said...

That is so funny! I would have been laughing right along with you.
Ok, I have to share my favorite funny prayer story now. My sister had just gotten married to Reuben Craghead. I guess Sid wasn't to sure how to pronounce it because during her prayer she said "please bless the Eggheads" I laughed so hard, only I wasn't so good as to hide my laughter from her. I couldn't help it.

Toshia said...

One of the things I love about being in primary is listening to the children's prayers. I am often surprised by which kids are the ones that have the sweetest most heartfelt prayers. I love the times they say something funny too!

Michelle said...

Oh Jodi he is too precious! We have had several instances of laughter during prayer at our house over the years. Sometimes you just can't help it! I think I'll start asking my kids to pray for me to find my patience too!

Shannon b said...

That is hilarious! I don't blame you at all for totally losing it during his prayer.

Nicole said...

I love these stories! I also love prayer moments. We get alot of humor out of Austin's prayers too and it is so fun to hear out loud what is going on inside those little heads of theirs.

Darilyn said...

This has got to be just about the best post EVER. I love it. I laughed so hard that I brought my husband from the other room. Thanks for brightening my day.

Kelli said...

I love the "mom lost it comment" Oh the things kids say! I know my three year old keeps me laughing!

Rochelle said...

I second Darilyn, I am laughing so hard! I think its awesome you some how pulled off your laughing for crying!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so excited for Ben to be able to read all these fun stories someday!!! Seriously, how great will that be?! You have recorded some of the most innocent and hearfelt moments that your little boy has had. And I *love* reading them!!! Maybe you could ask him to start praying for me to find my patience, too?!

Kelly said...

I am cracking up!!! Children's prayers are so heartfelt and honest.

Marie said...

That was so funny! I remember cracking up over cute little expressions... from my kids and even when Spencer was a little boy and he was at our house for dinner and we asked him to say the blessing. He bowed his head and said: "Hello." We just cracked up and it took him a minute to realize what he had just done.

Candy said...

I absolutely love a childs prayer. They are so sincere and I know Heavenly Father is listening. Autumn said just yesterday that she "hopes that Jesus will wake up soon and remember where his mother is". Where did that come from? You just got to love it, love it!

Julee and Matt said...

Jodi! I found your blog from the Dilgers' blog. How fun to see you and the family. It's been so long. You can check us out at hartvigsonfamily.blogspot.com.

Stay in touch!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweet Sis! I loved your story about Ben and the prayers. It had me laughing so hard I was crying! I can only imagine what it was like in person. :) And bless his little heart for praying for patience for his dear mother! Can you ask him to pray for me too?? You will never forget that! :)
Love and miss ya,
Nik

Tiffini said...

That is priceless. Wyatt is into this thing where he thinks he only needs to say three things because he is three. If we try to coach him into adding something or someone "extra" he gets mad and stops his prayer to say "no...I am three--that means three things".