This past Sunday, on our rush out the door, we forgot Megan's blanket. It's her comfort. We bring it with us everywhere we go. You will commonly see Jamie or I walking around with it thrown over our shoulder. The YELLOW blanket. You can't miss us. My Mom made it for her and she just loves the fringe around the edge. She grabs the dangles and rubs them against her face and then sucks her thumb. Cute. But NOT so cute when we leave it at home. No blanket = lots and lots of squawking.
So, in the middle of Sunday School I decided to head home (we live really close to the church building) and retrieve her blanket and quickly head back to sit in the halls for another 1 1/2 hours. Fun. BUT...while I was home, temptation struck. My thoughts were..."it would be so much easier to keep Megan at home. Make something to eat (yes...it was Fast Sunday but I hadn't really fasted for a purpose. I am good at justifying my wayward actions). Rest awhile and head back to church later to pick up the boys."
At this point, I whipped out the blender to make myself a yummy pineapple/banana/vanilla soy milk smoothie (delicious, by the way). The pineapple was frozen and it was making the blender work really hard. Being the kind person that I am, I decided to help the blender out by sticking a fork in to push the fruit down. A 'blender assistant'...yep that's me. But I failed to notice that the cute little appliance didn't want my help. The fork hit the blade and that sucker spit out everything in one quick swoop. The fork, my hand and most of the shake. I looked around and all I could see was liquid shake EVERYWHERE. On the counters, cabinets, floor, windows, my dress and the ceiling. Lovely. After assessing the damage all I could do was laugh. "OK. I get it, Lord. You want me to remain fasting AND you want me to go back to church. I gotcha. Loud and clear!" Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious subtle ways, a gentle nudge. But sometimes we need more of a push, less subtle, more abrupt. I guess the more stubborn we are the bigger the nudge.
I am thankful that I went back to church and was able to attend Relief Society where I heard a wonderful message from my friend, Candy. It was exactly what I needed to hear. I don't believe in things being a coincidence. Heavenly Father wanted me to hear her words. So I am thankful for the attack of the blender...exactly the encouragement that I needed at that very moment!
10 comments:
I have been giggling all week about this!
I want one of your smoothies soon!
Cute post, but it would be MUCH better if you had grabbed the camera and taken PICTURES! Glad you made it back to church. Hopefully after all of that you remembered the blanket. :)
One question: Did you clean the mess up before heading back to church or after you got home?
(love the gentle nudge vs. less subtle push analogy!)
great story, and great perspective. ;) I'm also wondering if you cleaned up the mess before heading back to church . . .
And, is the smoothie recipe available for your loyal readers?
That is a funny story. I am often tempted to take Whitney home during sunday school and relief society, since I spend them out in the hall. Just think only 1 more month until nursery.
I love that story! I would have gladly licked all that yummy stuff off your counters to help you clean it up:)
Too funny!! I am with you as a hall walker and I think sometimes we need our blenders to attack us to get the message across. Love you!
That is really funny. I am glad you listened to the "gentle prompting" of the spirit.
thank you for the good belly laugh! I can just picture you standing in your kitchen covered in smoothie looking at the mess. You are so cute :)
I'd be licking right along with Aundrea. So you can make stuffed mushrooms and smoothies? What else can you make?
Post a Comment