- Breakfast in bed
- Flowers, flowers and more flowers
- Homemade gifts from preschool (my personal favorite)
- A card from my husband that made me cry
- A call to my Mom. Miss her and love her.
- Hearing my son sing during Sacrament Meeting (because we normally go to my Mom and Dad's for this holiday we miss the primary songs sung to the Mother's. This was a special day. Another teary moment).
- Lunch and Dinner made by my sweet hubby.
- A few hours of alone time which consisted of reading a book and napping. Love it!
- Plenty of hugs and kisses.
There will be hard times and frustrating times.


But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.



There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique.

Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children.
The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part- or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
Pray deeply about your children and about your role as a mother. Parents can offer a unique and wonderful kind of prayer because they are praying to the Eternal Parent of us all. There is great power in a prayer that essentially says, “We are steward-parents over Thy children, Father; please help us to raise them as Thou wouldst want them raised.”I hope all of you dear sisters, married or single, never wonder if you have worth in the sight of the Lord and to the leaders of the Church. We love you. We respect you and appreciate your influence in preserving the family and assisting with the growth and the spiritual vitality of the Church. Let us remember that “the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children” (“The Family: A Proclamation to the World”). The scriptures and the teachings of the prophets and apostles help all family members to prepare together now to be together through all eternity. I pray that God will continually bless the women of the Church to find joy and happiness in their sacred roles as daughters of God."
M Russell Ballard
15 comments:
Thanks for these great reminders Jodi. You are truly one of the greatest examples of motherhood to me.
Thank you for the lovely Mother's day message! I love all the pictures of you and the kids.
What a beautiful, inspiring post! I'm definately guilty of being too much of a "let's get it done" mom. Great reminder to slow down and enjoy these moments, before they pass. Glad you had a great Mother's Day!
I love all those pictures. Happy Mother's Day to you!! It's so obvious how much you love your kidoos and how much they love you back!!
Thanks for making me start my day of *crying*! What a beautiful reminder to us all of our important job!
It's been so neat to see all of the different ways the mothers have paid tribute to such a great day. I love yours, thank you!
You are the best mom ever!! I am so glad you had a wonderful day. Love you!
Thanks for such a great post! You have some wonderful insights:0)I need to remember to cherish all the little moments with my kids...life gets so busy sometimes, so what a great reminder. Thank you, I needed that.
Love this post! Everyone needs a little cry at 10:30 right? Your family is so great and you are such a great Mother.
thanks so much for that, Jodi . . . . it made me a bit teary! Motherhood IS hard & crazy & wonderful & fun. I think you summed it up perfectly! And it's so nice to be reminded that we are not in this alone.
I loved reading all your thoughts. It was a good reminder. I love all your photos of you with your kids. I need to do better about getting my photo taken with my kids. I usually avoid being in front of the camera.
I loved your post (as usual) The words were very inspiring to me and I needed to hear them,thanks. The pictures were great and I need to not be so camera shy as well-I love that you are a "fun" mom
What a fun way to celebrate! happy mother's day, it sounds like you had a nice time. I was really touched by this post, you are awesome!
What a great tribute to moms!! Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this, it must have taken a LONG time! You are so great : ) I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks.
Jodi ~ this just made me cry. Thanks for having such a great way with words. You are a beautiful person inside and out. Oh and might I add a great mother and wife. Hugs!
Post a Comment