Monday, May 19, 2008

Niner...

On the day of Ben's first official T-ball game, Jamie took him early to the field to receive his uniform. When I arrived for the game the kids were already warming up. As I scanned the field I couldn't figure out which one was Ben so I asked Jamie what # he was wearing. When he nonchalantly told me the number my jaw dropped to the ground. I was so surprised and excited. By some bizarre coincidence...he was wearing the #9! To anyone else this is just a number but to me it is special. You see...ALL of my growing up years I wore the #9 in EVERY sport I played. As a high school athlete you become REALLY attached to your number. It becomes part of your sport's identity. So, to see my son wearing my number was surreal. Another 'NINER' in the family. I couldn't be more thrilled!

9 comments:

Rochelle said...

"Did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"
I couldn't help it I had to throw in a favorite Tommy boy line!
I love watching kids discovering their sport! Im glad he got your number!

Julee and Matt said...

How fun he got your number!

Candy said...

I know just what you mean David was always 16 and chelsea had that number in high school he knew she was going to have the greatest year ever!

Aundrea said...

That's so cool! I know what you mean about numbers...you get really superstitious (sp?) about them in sports too:)

Anonymous said...

Too cool!!! Seriously, what are the odds? Must be meant to be :)

Anonymous said...

BTW, how are you doing? Maybe you can post an update soon :)

Merilee said...

That's so cool. What did you play through high school?

Marie said...

That is a great picture! Jeff was so excited when Ryan got his b-ball number...funny how things bond us and connects us.

Kelly said...

I love it! I was always #25.