Monday, October 13, 2008

The first hunt...

I took this picture at 6 o'clock Saturday morning as my boys headed out for an early hunt. This was Ben's first time to tag along with Dad as they walked through the forest looking for deer (or Bambi, as I like to refer to the precious creatures :)

Ben could hardly contain his excitement when Jamie walked into his room this morning. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Dad, are you ready for the best day, ever?!"
Although no deer are hanging in our garage (yay), fun was had by all and Ben is counting down the days until he gets to go again next year!

11 comments:

Darilyn said...

What a fun experience for Ben. I'm not a fan of hunting myself but all my family goes hunting and I can appreciate the camaraderie that occurs when men are huddled together around a fire or heater in the middle of the woods.

Aundrea said...

That's really cool! I used to love going with my dad when I was little:)

Tiffiny said...

Ugh! I'm having flashbacks of Elk quarters hanging in our garage, attracting flies! It tastes good but I would rather not see the process in how the meat gets on my plate!

Dani said...

I really do not care for hunting yet I married a man who loves it! It's a BIG deal to the men in his family! Although, of the 7 years we've been married, Mike's only gone 3 times. It has not been a big deal and he's never brought any dead animals home. But I was relieved to have a girl first! Someday we might have a boy, then it will probably become an even bigger deal in our own household! yikes! But I do think its sweet that Ben was so excited "to have the best day ever" with his dad! That's pretty cool. Maybe its not so bad...

Julee and Matt said...

That is SO fun for those boys! Matt can't wait for a little boy who he can take out...even though I think Madyson will want to go out with him before long. They are too cute!

Shannon b said...

what a fun father-son bonding excursion. I can imagine that any 5-year old boy would be going nuts to have an opportunity like this!

Rochelle said...

How fun! I'm glad Ben enjoyed it, it was freezing out there!
I loved going hunting and chillin all day with dad!
Will Meg go when she's older or is this a boys only?

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Our boys should hook up. Mark is going to take Caleb and Calvin out for their first walk in the woods on Saturday. That might be way too noisy though, maybe a little counter productive. Heehee

Nicole said...

It's definitely a coming of age when a man takes his son on their first hunt!

Anonymous said...

How fun for them, something hopefully Ben will remember years from now. Father/son bonding moments like this are so special!

Tonya said...

Wow! Ben must have felt like such a big boy! Jamie sounds like an amazing daddy. Did you and Megan paint toenails and go shopping?