Monday, October 27, 2008

Let it be something good...

I watched one of my favorite movies over the weekend...Meet Joe Black and walked away with a full heart as I reflected on the movies message of living life to it's fullest. Anthony Hopkins is visited by a stranger (Brad Pitt) who wants to experience the fullness of life and since Hopkins has lived an exceptionally full life filled with integrity, passion and love the mysterious stranger wants him to be his guide as he experiences all the world has to offer for the first time.

A couple of my favorite moments from the movie are when Hopkins is talking to his daughter about taking chances in life, going with your gut and following your heart. He says, "You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived."

Another touching moment is when Hopkins is about to be taken away by Death (Brad Pitt) after enjoying a party in his honor celebrating 65 years of life. As he stands before the crowd to give a speech he says, "65 years...gone in a blink of an eye."

The blink of an eye. The older I get the faster time seems to go. It really does seem like a blink ago that I was just getting married and Jamie and I were starting our lives together. Now we are in the throng of parenthood with life speeding by. If I don't take the time to ponder the everyday wonders of this life...it all seems to become a blur. Every day is a gift and I want to enjoy the little things that when compiled over a lifetime will be remembered as something of worth...something good.


So this day, I will be pondering this beautiful quote...


"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you DO today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind... let it be something good." - Author Unknown

12 comments:

Michelle said...

A wonderful thought for the day! (I'm glad I read it BEFORE I spent my day being grumpy about all the laundry and chaos that built up over the weekend!)

rachel said...

That's a great thought for a Monday morning... thanks!

Merilee said...

Is it the inspiration or Brad Pitt I'm supposed to be thinking of today? Cause usually when I get caught up watching that movie it is not for the inspiration.

Candy said...

I like that movie as well and I really like your thought - thank you for sharing and opening our eyes and hearts with words!

Aundrea said...

I really like Brad, so I guess I'll have to see the movie:)

Lynn Boyle said...

I agree and Every morning I say a a few words to start my day. basically each new day is a gift and i am going to live this day in honor of the gift. It has actually given me a much less stress free approach on life and how i handle every day things. i have challenges that's for sure, we all do but my outlook on life seeing my kids happy and laughing, knowing my husband is safe and will be with us again soon. Those are the things that count.. GREAT MOVIE!!LOVE ANTHONY!!

Shannon b said...

wonderful thoughts! Thanks for sharing. It's so true how life becomes a bluurrrr . . . we do need to slow down and take in the details.

Rochelle said...

I remeber that movie and really liked it! Good heartfelt thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Loved this. You would be an amazing author for inspirational books and sayings ya know?!
I haven't seen this movie, but I think I'll put it on the list now.

Tonya said...

Awesome quote to ponder. I needed that! I love how you truly do find the "delightful" in your everyday. I have loved getting to know you better through blogging.

sheila said...

Love the quote! It may end up on my wall. I have been looking for something profound for my dining room wall where I can read it often! Thanks!

Jill said...

What a great message. And by the way, I LOVE that movie. I might have to dig it out of my collection. ;)