Wednesday, July 15, 2009

No more big, ghetto booty...

In July, I decided it was time to potty train Megan. She had been showing the 'I'm ready to potty train' signs for months but I just wasn't quite ready for it. I finally gave in realizing we would save money in diapers each month and that over time it would be easier than changing diapers...plus Jamie thought it would be weird if she was wearing diapers to her high school prom. I say it would make her untouchable. Not a bad thing, no?
So what does one do when a child is potty training?
The first few days we stuck around the house and watched Megan sit ALOT on her potty chair.

We watched Ellie bounce in her Johnny-jump up. This is pure entertainment, I tell ya. Plus we are only steps away from the potty chair...BONUS.

We played lots of board games. I taught Ben how to play dominos. FUN.

We ventured out a little, too. We took trips to the local high school track. Ben rode his bike while Megan and Ellie got rides in the stroller. We did take the potty chair with us and it was used a few times right there underneath the big blue sky.

We also went to the park to wear off some energy.

And thank goodness for good friends who took me out to a late night movie after a dreadful day of cleaning up accidents!

Everyone says that girls are easier to potty train than boys but with my experience I would have to disagree. Who knows...when I was working with Ben he was my one and only. He had my full attention ALL THE TIME. On the other hand, Megan only gets 1/3 of my attention. So, I think it was a combination of a few factors which made it more difficult. There were definitely a couple of days where I was ready to throw in the towel and try again in 6 months but we managed to suffer through it. She now walks around diaper free (no more big, ghetto booty) and she looks like such a big girl in her Dora and Tinker Bell undies! Love it!

5 comments:

Paige said...

Awesome. :) We used to keep a "spare" potty in the car for those times when you are halfway to whereever you are going, at the exact point when you are the farthest from any bathroom even remotely sanitary, and your child has to go NOW. WTG, MEGAN!! Does she want to come potty train Jaren?

Darilyn said...

Wow, you have such diligence. I do not possess that or never did anyway. Way to go!

Rochelle said...

Awe, look at that big girl! Both of them! I'm glad too for our night out after crazy time!

Tiffiny said...

Congratulations! Its a major relief when there is only one booty in diapers anymore. And I agree, Mason was much easier to potty train than Drew. It took him 3 days to become accident free. Took Drew weeks.

Anonymous said...

Jodi: I love what you are doing with your blog. It helps me to feel like I am living these events with you - I get to see my beautiful grandchildren through the wonder of computer magic! Your children will be so grateful for the stories of their lives in print. Keep up the fantastic work! Love ya. Mom and Dad