Thursday, February 10, 2011

Things that are making me happy...

The crisp winter mornings that lead us into a beautiful sunny day. The last few days have been gorgeous! When the sun is out I always have more energy and a happier disposition. Can't wait for spring and summer.

Date night with Jamie. Macaroni Grill, good conversation and some shopping for Ellie's birthday. Yep...this makes me happy!


Tomato Basil Pizza. This stuff is seriously good and I have been eating it for lunch at least 3 or 4 times per week. The good news? It's healthy. The other good news? I'm gonna share the recipe with
you. You will thank me and Trainer Momma later :)

1/3 cup marinara sauce (I use Classico)
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 Tb mozzarella cheese, reduced fat
3-4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 roma tomato, sliced
1 Tb feta cheese, reduced fat
freshly cracked pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Spread the sauce all over the pita. Sprinkle the minced garlic evenly all over the pita. Spread the mozzarella cheese over the top of the pita. Next, sprinkle the basil leaves topped with as many tomatoes as you like. Top with the feta cheese. Finish it off with some freshly cracked pepper.
Carefully place your pizza on the middle oven rack. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until your cheese is bubbling and crust is a golden brown.

PB120016

YUM!!

The knowledge that "It's none of my business what other people think of me" because "I am enough". These two little sayings have helped slam the door on little self-doubts that slowly start to creep in on me. As I age, I find myself reflecting more on how I feel about things rather than wondering or worrying about what other people think. It's empowering to get older. I am loving my 30's.

Playdoh. I guess it's not really the playdoh that is making me happy but the hours that my girls can spend together at the table playing side by side. Watching them create simple things and then use their imaginations to put voices to these mushy creatures is fascinating. I could watch them for hours and marvel at what a blessing it is to be a mother.


I recently finished reading a fantastic book titled, Little Princes. The author, Conor Grennan decides to trade in his day job for a year-long trip around the globe, a journey that began with a three-month stint volunteering at the Little Princes Children’s Home, an orphanage in war-torn Nepal. Conor is initially reluctant to volunteer, unsure whether he had the proper skill, or enough passion, to get involved in a developing country in the middle of a civil war. But he was soon overcome by the herd of rambunctious, resilient children who would challenge and reward him in a way that he had never imagined. This story was a page turner and incredibly heartwarming. It makes me happy to know that there are amazing people in the world who will risk everything to help another human being.

I'm in planning mode for Ben's upcoming birthday! The theme...
8 is GREAT!
He has been talking about it for months. Not only is it his birthday, but he will be getting baptized and it's his 'golden' birthday (turning 8 on the 8th!) so I am planning a little something extra special for that. I love perusing the many, many party blogs out there and gathering ideas for his big day. I am hoping to make it extra special for him.


Last Sunday, all five us piled into our bed for a family movie night. It was a tad bit squishy as we lay there watching The Lion King. A foot here...an elbow there...and the constant movement of an almost 2 year old. As uncomfortable as I was through that whole dang flick....the one thing that kept running through my mind was how happy I am. Content. Just to be. Right there in the middle of that tight space with my five favorite people in the whole world.

5 comments:

Tonya said...

You and Jamie are an adorable couple!!!

That pizza look AMAZING! My newest lunch involves making a pizza using a whole wheat sandwich thin. I'll have to try your recipe for sure!

I'm always on the hunt for a good read. That book sounds like something I would enjoy reading.


So exciting that your little man is turning 8. My little guy turned 8 in August. Have fun planning his party!

Shannon b said...

Love all of your happy things. :)

Michelle said...

Fun stuff! I loved Little Princes too. Makes me wish I could go there and play with all those kids in the orphanage.

Anonymous said...

Things that make me happy are seeing my daughters and their families so happy. I love how you are recording the wonderful moments in your life, moments that you nor your children will ever forget. What a sweet, precious family - an eternal family - a family made in heaven!
Love, Mom and Grandma

Paige said...

:)