When I was growing up we spent every Christmas in California with my Grandma and Grandpa. I loved going and looked forward to it for months in advance. I will forever cherish the memories of the excitement of packing our bags as we anticipated the trip, the long car ride filled with reading books, listening to my walkman, singing along with my parents homemade 50/60's tape ("Duke Duke Duke Duke of Earl...Duke Duke Duke of Earl") and stopping at McDonalds which was a HUGE treat because we rarely ate out. Once we arrived I loved ringing the doorbell and having my Grandma and Grandpa greet us at the door with hugs galore, searching out the tubs filled with my Grandma's chocolate fudge, and talking into the wee hours of the night with my sister as we listened to the cars pass by in the street and the rockin' tunes on the clock radio which sat at the head of the bed.
Such wonderful memories.
Such wonderful memories.
Although the drive isn't nearly as long (thank goodness...I'm not sure my kids would survive an 8 hour car ride) the tradition continues in our family as we drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house every year for Christmas. I'm not sure which memories they will treasure as they look back on their childhood holiday traditions
but they may remember...
1. Hanging out...
at the counter, eating yummy treats like peanut butter stuffed celery, putting olives on all their fingers with their Aunt Nikki and watching Grandma make pancakes shaped like the letters of their names.
2. Their cousins...
They may remember bombarding their little cousin JT as soon as he walks through the door! If there was a little guy more loved than JT...I would be surprised. My kids can't get enough of him.
Ellie is just a little over a year older than JT and she is smitten. When he is in his chair, she puts food on his fork and trys to feed him as if he is her baby. She hugs him and cuddles him sometimes a little too hard but he doesn't seem to mind...he is a super sweet, good natured little guy! I just love the way she is staring at him adoringly in this picture...
I know they will remember spending time with their awesome cousin Sammy..."Hey Girl, Heeeeeey"
and their fabulous cousin Shelby :)
I know Ben will remember the hours spent on the floor playing games with Sammy. This is a common scene whenever our families get together. This years game of choice was a brand new Sorry Sliders.
3. Family...
They will undoubtedly remember their awesome Aunt Velma and the delicious canned food she blesses us with! She makes the best pickles and applesauce and somehow finds the coolest kitchen gagdets for the 'big' girls in her life.
Great Grandpa Burton (our trip to the cabin got canceled this year due to sickness, so we were extra excited that Great Grandpa Heitz could join us for Christmas dinner!)
Grandma and Grandpa always make the holidays very special for us! The kids might remember trying to create a special gift for them this year by making a canvas picture that looked like reindeer. The reindeer heads are each of the children's footprints and the red noses are their fingerprints. Super fun to make and a grandparent's delight :)
I know they will remember their sweet Aunt Jan and Uncle Larry.
They might remember that every Christmas these two crazy guys done girly aprons, act a fool and help carve the turkey! Will anyone be able to get those images out of their heads ;)
4.The Presents...
As the years pass, I'm pretty sure the kids won't remember what they received for Christmas but the memory of gathering in the big family room and the anticipation of opening up the presents as they get placed in a pile specifically for them, will be hard to forget. It's exciting I tell ya! And no one was more excited than Ellie this year. She is at the perfect age for the magic of Christmas! She REALLY LIKED EVERYTHING she received and sang, "I LOVE IT" while she gave every present a big huge hug! I mean...doesn't the picture below just say it all...
Her favorite gift this year was a camera she got from Grandma and Grandpa. Both of the big kids have one and she is always trying to swipe theirs. When she spotted that camera in the box she stood straight up, threw her arms above her head and shouted, "HOORAY HOORAY! It's all mine! It's all mine!" Oh the joy of little kids at Christmas :)
Ben and his new soccer ball.
Megan with the Mamas...showing off our new hats that Grandma made for us!
5. The reason for the season...
And of course...I hope they remember the joy of celebrating the birth of our Savior!
And of course...I hope they remember the joy of celebrating the birth of our Savior!
"The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light: they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined.... For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
-Isaiah 9:2,6
I hope they will always remember the light, joy and peace that comes from knowing their Savior, Jesus Christ!
Merry Christmas from our family to yours!









No comments:
Post a Comment