Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Our Beloved Prophet...


Gordon B. Hinckley, the president of our church, passed away at 7pm Sunday surrounded by his family. I was overcome with sadness as I heard the news. It's not often that someone you have never met impacts your life in such a personal way. Yet I am sure there were millions of people feeling the same way as the news spread quickly amongst the members of the church. His testimony, his joy for life, his humor, his love for the Savior, his energy and his example greatly influenced my life.


I loved listening to him talk. I had the privilege of hearing him speak when he came to Eugene in 1994 or 1995. He spoke to a full house at the Lane County Convention Center. The spirit that emanated from him was contagious and you couldn't help but be touched by that sweet twinkle in his eyes. I remember the strong emotions that I felt when he finished speaking and began to leave. The members sang, "We thank the, O God, for a Prophet" and the spirit was so strong. Shivers ran down my spine and tears flowed freely as I realized I was in the presence of a true and living Prophet of God.


Listening to him in numerous conferences, I remember he had a way of encouraging you to do a little more and be a little better. He made you want to follow his counsel. He told us what we needed to do and he made us WANT to do it. When he encouraged all church members to read the Book of Mormon in the last few months of 2005, many took the challenge. It was a wonderful feeling knowing that so many other members around the globe were reading this inspired work at the same time.


He accomplished so much during his 12 years as the leader of the church. He oversaw the building of so many new temples around the globe, introduced A Proclamation on the Family, started the Perpetual Education Fund, had the new Conference Center built (with the beautiful pulpit made from his own walnut tree), shared the beautiful B's and formed a positive bridge between the LDS church and the media. He was very willing to sit down with various reporters, such as Mike Wallace and Larry King, and talk openly on what our Church believes. He was down to earth and his great sense of humor always shone through. This was exemplified in October when he took his cane and 'knighted' his new councilor, Predident Eyring.


Even though I am mourning his loss, I smile thinking about the sweet reunion he is having with his dear wife and the embrace he will feel from our Savior. I have no doubt the Lord will gather him in his arms and say, "Thank You."

I loved him and will miss him.

6 comments:

Paige said...

:)

Rochelle said...

I love his comment to Mike Wallace, "We are not a weird people"

Julee and Matt said...

What beautiful words you have for such a wonderful man. He will be missed, but how happy he is.

Darilyn said...

He will be very missed.

Tiffini said...

Thank you for sharing.

Kelly said...

He was my favorite. And while I'm sad for us, I'm so happy for him. He loved his wife so much and now they are together again!