Our church holds a General Conference twice a year where general authorities and other church leaders speak and give guidance to the members of the church. This last October, I was touched by a talk that President Eyring's gave (O Remember, Remember) concerning keeping a record of the many ways the hand of God reaches out and touches our lives. I am going to start recording some of my thoughts as I try to recognize and remember God's constant love and kindness.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heavenly Father is constantly shaping me and forming me into the person I am meant to be and for this I am thankful. But...most of the time it is not easy. A few days ago I got my feelings hurt. It was the kind of hurt that wasn't easily shaken off. It was rude, insensitive and completely uncalled for. The more I thought about it...the more upset I got and I wavered back and forth between tears and anger. It threw me into a tailspin. The natural man in me told me to retaliate. But I knew before I even thought about speaking to this person I would need to cool down.
In between taking care of the kiddos and having myself a little pity party, I had some quiet time and decided to pull open the book Simplify by Carolyn J. Rasmus. I had read the first couple of chapters but had put it down and not touched it for a couple of weeks. It was not a coincidence that on this day, in this moment, I opened this book, to this chapter titled MERCY...
"Too many among us hold grudges and ill feelings toward others for the way they treated us or for something they said about which we chose to take offense. At times we hear comments like 'Well, I'm never going to forgive her for what she did to me!' Such an attitude is destructive to an individual's well-being. It can canker the soul and ruin one's life."
"It is so easy to become part of the world in which we live, a world filled with meanness, criticism, hostility, harshness, argumentation, faultfinding, anger, litigation, civil strife, and conflict. Many live with an attitude of an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. Television programs show family arguments and fights. The media often mercilessly attacks politicians and church or civil leaders. Many feel they have been cheated or betrayed. If we harbor such feelings, we allow great damage to be done to our souls and we experience constant emotional turmoil."
President Gordon B. Hinckley has talked about MERCY as a godlike quality. "It is part of the endowment each of us receives as a son or daughter of God and partaker of a divine birthright. I plead for an effort among all of us to give greater expression and wider latitude to this instinct which lies within us. I am convinced that there comes a time, possibly many times, within our lives when we might cry out for mercy on the part of others. How can we expect mercy unless we have been merciful ourselves?"
That question was sobering to me and allowed me to focus on the eternal perspective. I am so imperfect and rely on my Savior on a daily basis to give me mercy as I come to him in humble prayer for my many sins. How could I continue to get on my knees and ask for the blessings of the atonement if I couldn't forgive a friend for a minor offense? It reminded me of a quote by George Herbert...'He that cannot forgive others breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach Heaven, for everyone has need of forgiveness.'
I continued to read...
"Think about what could happen in our homes and neighborhoods if we determined to respond to others with mercy, to give others the benefit of the doubt, to resolve not to take offense when it is directed at us. When we hold grudges or ill-feelings toward another, harbor jealousies and anger, respond in critical or attacking ways, or simply withhold mercy toward others, we become burdened and emotionally drained. Imagine what our homes, places of business, grocery stores, schools, freeways, and even our chapels would be like if everyone practiced mercy toward others."
President Hinckley has said, "Mercy is the very essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ. The degree to which each of us is able to extend it becomes an expression of the reality of our discipleship under Him who is our Lord and Master."
I am thankful that my loving Heavenly Father knows me and loves me enough to place this book on this chapter in my path on this day so that I could soften my heart and hurt no more. He has blessed me with an opportunity to grow and to learn this Christ-like attribute of MERCY. I KNOW that HE LIVES and I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is constantly teaching this very imperfect soul how to be more like Him.
9 comments:
I am also amazed at the "tender mercies" offered by our Heavenly Father, and being reminded that he is mindful of us and what we are going through. You are such an awesome example, Jodi! I truly need to take this into my life and be more like our Savior and you;) Thanks for the reminder!
I am so sorry that you were hurt. I know how much that must have stung, and it was unfortunate that you were faced with that. But I am amazed by how you chose to turn the situation into an opportunity to practice Christ's teachings by being merciful and offering forgivess. You are such a good example to us all. I love you, Jodi!
Jodi,
This is amazing. It is so hard when you are hurting. Even when you might be justified in your anger and hurt...God calls us to be humble before Him and to take up an attitude of Grace, mercy and Forgiveness. We are to be selfless and that my friend is HARD to do in this world we live in. We live in a "all about me, what can you do for me world". I am proud of you for turning to your Heavenly Father and working through this. You will be greatly rewarded for your faithfulness.
I love ya & your thoughts.
Jess :O)
Thank you for such a wonderful reminder! Isn't it amazing how Heavenly Father sends us just the words we need to hear!
I love you and the great example you are in my life. I am greatful for the beautiful sisters the Lord has placed in our lives and that we can learn and grow from sharing experiences.
I think I need to invest in this book "Simplify".
I am a "natural man" way too often and for that I am sorry, I hope to be more merciful and strive to be more like Christ.
You are so amazing! As I was reading this I just heard that Pres. Hinkley just returned home to heaven. Remember I love you!
Jodi, you are such a good example to all of us. Thank you for the reminder of the role that mercy plays in our lives. I am glad to hear you are feeling better, it sucks when we experience hurt. It sure is nice to know that Heavenly Father loves us though!
Some great reflections...I too, have really appreciated the insite found in that book.
Post a Comment