It seems that our last few Family Home Evenings have been less than stellar. We come, we are rowdy and we learn nothing. The End. It's frustrating and there are moments when I feel like...why in the world are we even doing this. UGH.
So, this evening as I was finishing up with the dishes I quietly bowed my head and quickly asked Heavenly Father to bring the spirit into our home and bless us with a wonderful FHE. Guess what...He delivered! Tonight was amazing.
In a nutshell...we talked about faith and how if we have faith in our Heavenly Father he will pour out blessings upon us and protect us. We watched a video of Helaman's 2000 Stripling Warriors and the spirit was so strong I cried. I was amazed at the faith those young warriors had as they courageously turned to fight the Lamanite army. They knew without a doubt that they would be protected and no harm would come to them. They were righteous young men and when the fighting was over, Heleman turned to them and said, "You ARE what God intended you to be." Love that.
When the movie was over we had a discussion and while we were talking I noticed Ben had started to tear up. I asked him what was wrong and he said, 'These are happy tears'. This lead into a nice discussion about the spirit. He said the closing prayer and asked Heavenly Father to bless us with the 'Faith of the Warriors'.
I'm thankful for a night that is set aside for our family to come together to sing, study, play and pray. Although it's not usually quiet and peaceful...I know this is exactly where we should be.
6 comments:
Our family home Evenings always leave me frustrated! I plan these fun activities and then I can't get my family to cooperate MY way! I know that as they get older though it will get easier. I do have a great FHE book (a couple of them) that I love to use because it covers every single aspect, including treat ideas.
It's times like these even if the are few and far between that keep us trying to continue family night... Your a great mom!
That's awesome. What a sweet boy. For our FHE we learned about keeping a house of order and I taught the girls to clean the bathroom. :)
What a great example of the great things that come from "keep on trying." I'll keep this in mind the next time I want to give up right in the middle of FHE.
sooo touching, Jodi!
I just got goose bumps again imagining that moment with Ben. I love it when children respond like that, because you know you are witnessing their testimonies being developed. Super sweet.
Post a Comment