Wednesday, August 6, 2008

In one little moment...

my life changed forever. It was a beautiful day at the end of July over 10 years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday. Jamie picked me up from my parents house and I thought it was strange that my mom and dad came out to wave goodbye for a date. We had been on MANY dates over the previous 2 years, getting more and more serious after Jamie was baptized in February of that same year. My parents had strange but sweet looks on their faces...like they knew something I didn't. Something that touched them, made them happy but I couldn't put my finger on it. What WAS the secret...I couldn't be sure.

The drive was nice even though I was clueless as to where we were going. We started south on the highway for about 10 minutes before Jamie turned the truck around and headed North. He wanted to 'throw me off' he said but as soon as we hit the Salem exit and the vehicle veered west, I knew he was taking me to my favorite place on the Oregon coast...Cannon Beach.

We arrived to beautiful, pristine beaches. The sky was cloudless...no wind. It was truly perfect. Jamie wanted to take me somewhere nice for dinner so after a walk on the beach we headed to a place called the Stephanie Inn. I had never been there, never even heard of it, so I had no idea what to expect. Dress nice was all Jamie told me. I love surprises!

The Inn was gorgeous, right on the beach overlooking Haystack Rock. We waited in the library while the staff prepared our tables. When it was time, they walked all their guests into the quaint dining room where there were approximately 10 tables. A very intimate setting. The chef came out in his coat and hat to tell us what we would be eating that night. I had never been to a restaurant where there was only one thing on the menu. Fancy. One by one, the courses arrived and MAN ALIVE...the food was divine. It was absolutely delicious (and I am not usually a 'fancy food' kind of girl).

The last course was a flour less chocolate cake. When it arrived at the table I noticed that my plate looked different than Jamie's. In fact, my plate had X s and O s all the way around the rim. I leaned over and asked Jamie, "Why is my plate different than yours? YOUR plate is plain." He told me he thought all the ladies in the room had the same type plates. Hmmm. As I continued to eat I noticed something else that was odd...my plate had letters that continued to show up as I took another bite of cake. I leaned over again with a puzzled expression on my face and said, "Jamie, my plate has letters on it." He calmly replied, "Well, what does it say?" At this point I seriously wasn't sure so I quickly ate, moved, flicked that cake out of the way so I could find out. When it was in clear view and I read WILL YOU MARRY ME? I was stunned. Wide eyed, I looked up to Jamie and whispered, "It says WILL YOU MARRY ME? Is this from YOU?" Without a moments hesitation, Jamie got up from the table, walked around to my chair and knelt down on one knee. He opened up the ring box and popped the question. I quickly said yes and before I realized there was anyone else in the room witnessing this moment, the restaurant erupted into applause. It was a truly magical moment.



Over the last decade, this plate has made three moves, watched us bring home 2 wee ones, witnessed many family gatherings and seen our family go over a few bumps in this road called life. In turn, it has a few dings of it's own. Although I cried the first time it fell off a shelf and got a small chip...it is now a wonderful reminder that life happens. I'm just thankful I have my sweet hubby to make this journey with.


I love you, Jamie.

Happy 9th Anniversary!

20 comments:

Jill said...

Oh, how romantic! Sounds like a scene from a movie! You're so cute!

Anonymous said...

Jodi, what a priceless and sweet story you have shared :) I *love* it. Happy Anniversary!!!

Paige said...

Happy Birthday, you crazy kids! I love that story. :)

Darilyn said...

That is the best story to start my day off with. A great reminder to be kind and gentle with my own wonderful husband. Thank you. I have to know one thing though. Did you really not suspect that he was going to ask you to marry him? I think the look on your parent's faces would have given it away for me.

Candy said...

That is the sweetset thing ever!!!!You guys are so cute and you have such a sweet wonderful family! Love ya both!

Rochelle said...

What a great story! Have a great day and a HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

sheila said...

I have goosebumps and I cried. I'm making Brian read it!!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Oh Goodness that was better than a chick flick! HOW sweet and I love that you have the plate as a constant reminder. What a sweet story. So I am curious do you go back to Stephanie Inn often?

Tiffini said...

What a great memory. Did Jaime make the plate? If not it is still cool...if so it is even cooler.

Natalee said...

WOW!!!! That is soo sweet and sooo romantic! That was awesome of you to share!

Wonderful story! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy 9th Anniversary Sweet Sister!
We are so happy that you said yes all those years ago. We all knew Jamie was the "one" before you did. :) What a wonderful addition to our family! It is fun to hear the story again. We love you both so much. Hope you had a great day.
Love ya,
Nikki :)

Nicole said...

How did jamie get the plate to the waiter for your table without you knowing? Nice move. - Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just tried making one of those Pyzam family pics myself the other day, but I never finished it. I came across a couple last week and thought they were so fun! But I love yours the best, especially Megan's little crown and your halo. It will be fun to see who gets added to that pic in just 6 more months--EEEK!!! Can't wait :)

Aundrea said...

I love that story, and I'm glad you will have it forever in your blog book! I hope you guys had a happy anniversary!

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary! What a sweet story!

Shannon b said...

what a sweet story! And how fun to have a momento of the "proposal" to display in your home. :)

Marie said...

How sweet! What a creative proposal!

Kelli said...

That is a wonderful story. Hapy Anniversary!

rachel said...

You just had to go and make me cry, didn't you?!?!?
What a wonderful proposal. I really like your husband. He just earned major points in my book.
Happy Anniversary friend!

Dani said...

I love that story! What a cool husband you have :)