Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Play All Day...

As I was putting Ben to bed Monday night he asked me what our plan was for the next day. I was in the mood to do nothing and just wanted a day to play so I declared it a "Play ALL Day" day. The next morning that is exactly what we did...play. all. day. It was fantastic! (Side note...when Jamie got home from work he looked around the house and said, "what happened" with a puzzled look on his face because the house was a disaster...I was playing all day, remember? I said to him, "You know all those things I usually do every day. Well, I didn't do them today.")
We played Kerplunk, Tip it, Go Fish, Yahtzee and Cribbage (my boy can play cribbage! Love it! and Megan likes to move the pegs around. Everyone's happy.)


I sent the kids for a little nap and rest time and when I looked out the window it was snowing. I couldn't believe it! What could be better on a 'Play All Day" day than snow? Seriously. You can't think of anything better, can you? Me neither. I ran to get Ben and we decided to go for a little walk. Ben ran around the whole neighborhood and upon his return declared he had caught 48 snowflakes in his mouth.
He was giddy.




We waited for the snow to accumulate and then bundled everyone up for another outing. Once outside, the kids made tracks through the snow, threw snowballs, built a snowman and walked to the top of the hill and back singing, "Oh, the weather outside is frightful but YOU are delightful!" Again...giddy!






I love the snow. I do. Especially AFTER Christmas...when I have nowhere to go. It is peaceful being outside, everything white and fresh and new. I love the sounds of snow...children's laughter, the occasional thud of a snowball, a few slow cars making their way home. It's as if time stands still when it snows. Nothing else to focus on, drop everything and play. In this busy busy world of ours...this 'play all day' was exactly what my spirit needed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jodi: Oh how I wish I could have been there playing with all of you in the snow! You got some great pictures - made me feel like I was there. Love you and your beautiful family.

Love, Mom

Nicole said...

I was so happy it snowed!! I had been wishing and hoping. I was surprised by how much we got so quickly though. Fun times...

Rochelle said...

I do love the snow. Elli looks so cute with her rosey nose and all bundled!
I love kerplunk, haven't played for years!

Tiffiny said...

What a perfect play day! I love the pink cheeks on the kids. We had a great tiem in it too. Happy to see its melting now though!

Tonya said...

You are such an awesome Mom! I especially loved that you were singing,"Oh the weather outside is frightful, but YOU are delightful". That touched my heart:0) Happy holidays, friend.

Nikki said...

Hi Sweet Sis!
Wow...I didn't know that you got that much snow. I am jealous!!! Looks like you all had a great time. Wish we could have been there to play in the snow with you.
Love ya,
Nikki

Elder Caleb Habel said...

You are such a FUN mom! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tiffini said...

I need a day like that!

Anonymous said...

What a great day!