A few of my friends have mentioned the fact that there is wailing and gnashing of teeth as the days pass by and they inch closer and closer to 40 and although I haven't quite reached the "over the hill" status, I say...BRING IT ON! I am truly enjoying my age and feel a certain appreciation for the years as they come. 38 was a huge year of personal growth for me (more on that in another post) some of which was rather painful but I have come out on the other side and feel thankful and blessed for the experiences that have helped shape me. Without the years...I wouldn't be who I am today. As the old primary song goes, "one year older and wiser, too" :)
Celebrating my birthday this year was an extra treat because Jamie was home. He normally has to work on my day so the fact that I got served breakfast in bed and got asked first thing in the morning..."what do you want to do today?" was awesome. I could have just stayed in bed all day and read and relaxed (what an awesome birthday gift that would have been) but instead we took to the road for a little outing.
First stop...The Portland Temple grounds and the new Visitors Center. I have been wanting to go there since it opened up in February. It was really great...so much packed into such a small space. If you haven't gone yet, it is definitely worth a visit.
Second stop...The OHSU Tram. It was on our Summer 2012 Bucket List. We wavered back and forth on whether or not we were going to go because we had a hard time finding parking. Once we commited we headed to the short line to buy our tickets. It turns out we made it just in time...the last tram was set to leave in 5 minutes! The ride was short and not super memorable but I'm glad we did it. Great view of the city and now we can check it off of our list!
Third Stop...The Ward Luau! Great food and great company and a surprise birthday song :)
I don't have pictures of all the little things that made my birthday special like my mom and dad's special birthday song first thing in the morning, calls from my sweet sister and Papa and Nana, visits from special friends with flowers and treats and a special birthday dessert with my sweet friend, Rochelle. And the biggest treat of them all was the joy my children had throughout the day because it was my birthday. They were more excited than me and worked so hard to do the little things that made my day special. I am blessed beyond measure and happily getting older each and every day surrounded by people I love. No wailing and gnashing of teeth here. Just excitement for what lies ahead...
1 comment:
You are amazing my friend. And you just get more and more beautiful with age. Add that to wiser, too ... and well, you totally make aging look like something we should all embrace. I hope one day I can be as graceful and wise as you!!!
Post a Comment